Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Two bears in the Giant Forest, Sequoia National Forest [Sun 7/19/09]



"Little Buddy" is a 2-yr old black bear I filmed during a "Land of the Giants" nature walk in Giant Forest, Sequoia National Forest. Dawn Ryan, our ranger, was worried about Buddy because a recent report had a tourist feeding Buddy a sandwich, chips, & a drink. She was worried that he would get used to "human" food...and possibly have to be shot.

We saw "Little Buddy" twice during our walk, but the second time he was behind a lot of trees, with no good shots.

The two shots below are of an older bear on the Alta Trail, headed north from the Giant Forest Museum to the General Sherman tree. We surprised each other, and I saw this bear bounding away from me. Wouldn't you know, my camera batteries chose just that moment to die... I had to put in new batteries. Lucky to get any shots at all. :-)


3 comments:

Atheist Confessions said...

Sheesh, what is it with camera batteries? Mine died right as Obama was sworn in...

Still, awesome shots! - Lo

Allen said...

While people may have different views still good things should always be appreciated. Yours is a nice blog. Liked it!!!

James said...

I came to your blog just when I was surfing on this topic. I am happy that I found your blog and information I wanted.